The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams | 02-03-2023
1. Ordeal (Noun) : कटुअनुभव: a very unpleasant and painful or difficult experience
Synonyms: hardship, trouble, torment, suffering, agony
Antonyms: delight, pleasure, comfort, elation
Example Sentence: Even the experienced wedding planner found it quite an ordeal to plan and execute a ceremony in twentyfour hours.
2. Polarisation (Noun) : ध्रुवीकरण: division into two sharply contrasting groups or sets of opinions or beliefs
Synonyms: separation, split, division, divergence
Antonyms: union, sameness, accord, convergence
Example Sentence: Polarization between the husband and wife’s financial spending was caused by differences in opinion on saving.
3. Foment (Verb): भड़काना : instigate or stir up (an undesirable or violent sentiment or course of action)
Synonyms: provoke, incite, trigger
Antonyms: calm, cease, depress, constrain
Example Sentence:Despite popular beliefs, the police are here to keep people calm, not to foment violence.
4. Garner (Verb): एकत्र करना : to collect something, usually after much work or with difficulty
Synonyms: collect, gather, amass, assemble, accumulate
Antonyms: disperse, scatter, dissipate
Example Sentence: Sadly, Jim Waters could not garner enough votes to carry the election.
5. Brazen (Adjective): बेशर्म : bold and without shame
Synonyms: impudent, bold, audacious
Antonyms: timid, meek, shy, humble
Example Sentence: In a brazen assault, the gang fired their weapons at the policeman
6. Insurgency (Noun) : विद्रोह, उग्रवाद: an active revolt or uprising
Synonyms: uprising, revolt, rebellion, mutiny
Antonyms: counterinsurgency, counterrevolution
Example Sentence: Despite the enormity of the war’s casualties, the Iraqi insurgency continues to grow stronger with every passing day.
7. Indiscreet (Adjective) : अविवेकी: not careful or polite in what you say or do
Synonyms: unwise, imprudent
Antonyms: discreet, decorous
Example Sentence: Don’t tell her any secrets; she’s so indiscreet.
8. Conspicuous (Adjective) : विशिष्ट: clearly visible; attracting notice or attention
Synonyms: obvious, clear, plain, evident
Antonyms: invisible, unnoticeable, hidden
Example Sentence: The bank robber made the mistake of trying to escape in a conspicuous orange car.
9. Euphemism (Noun): प्रियोक्ति : a word or phrase used to avoid saying an unpleasant or offensive word
Synonyms: metaphor, phrase, term, idiom, colloquialism
Antonyms: directness, straightforwardness, terseness
Example Sentence:1. “Senior citizen” is a euphemism for “old person“.
2. The article used euphemisms so much that its meaning was often unclear.
10. Stringent (Adjective): कठोर: strict, precise, and exacting (of regulations, requirements, or conditions)
Synonyms: strict, rigorous, rigid
Antonyms: lenient, flexible
Example Sentence:The quantity of exports has declined since the early 80s due to the stringent procedures by the government.