The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams | 07-04-2023
1. Contravene (Verb): उल्लंघन करना: to do something that a law or rule does not allow, or to break a law or rule
Synonyms: Breach, Violate, Infringe
Example Sentence: Because your actions contravene school policy, you’re being suspended for ten days.
2. Apartheid (Noun): रंग-भेद: segregation on grounds other than race.
Synonyms: segregation, discrimination, racism
Antonyms: integration, union, impartial
Example Sentence:Nelson Mandela helped to end Apartheid, which was racial discrimination in South Africa.
3. Befuddled (Adjective) : उलझना: unable to think clearly; confused or perplexed
Synonyms: bewildered, confused, dazed
Antonyms: clearheaded, conscious
Example Sentence: I was so befuddled to find the marriage ceremony venue, thus I couldn’t reach there on time.
4. Inflation (Noun): महंगाई: a general, continuous increase in price
Synonyms: gain, rise, escalation
Antonyms: depreciation, decrease
Example Sentence: Because of inflation the bread that used to cost eighty cents now costs one dollar and fifty cents.
5. Ire (Noun) : गुस्सा: anger
Synonyms: indignation, wrath, outrage, fury, rage
Antonyms: Pleasure, calmness, delight, happiness
Example Sentence: Their ire was directed mainly at the government.
6. Aggrieve (Adjective) : व्यथित: feeling resentment at having been unfairly treated
Synonyms: agitate, discompose, disquiet, disturb, perturb
Antonyms: satisfy, please, gratify
Example Sentence: He felt aggrieved at not being chosen for the team.
7. Bailout (Noun): an act of giving financial assistance to a failing business or economy to save it from collapse
Synonyms: underwrite, give a helping hand
Antonyms: disagreement, infringement
Example Sentence: The government crafted the bailout scheme with little public discussion and without determining who was responsible for the losses.
8.Knock one’s socks off (Idiom):To thoroughly impress, overwhelm, or excite someone.
Synonyms: delight, knock dead, satisfy, please
Example Sentence: This song will knock your socks off.
9. Proscribe (Verb) : बहिष्कार : the action of forbidding something; banning.
Synonyms: prohibition, forbid, outlaw
Antonyms: allow, permit, authorize
Example Sentence: The policies of the school district proscribe accessing social media websites on school computers..
10. Altercate (Verb) : विवाद करना : dispute or argue noisily and publicly.
Synonyms: bicker, argue, quarrel, clash
Antonyms: accord, agreement, calm, concord, harmony
Example Sentence: Don’t altercate over such a trivial issue that is not related to your work.