The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams | 12-03-2023
1. Exacerbate (Verb) : बिगाड़ देना : make (a problem, bad situation, or negative feeling) worse
Synonyms: aggravate, intensify, complicate, amplify
Antonyms: alleviate, mitigate, relieve
Example Sentence: If you do not take your medicine, youcondition will exacerbate, and you will feel worse.
2. Relinquish (Verb) : त्यागना : voluntarily cease to keep or claim; give up
Synonyms: surrender, render, abandon
Antonyms: retain, keep, withhold
Example Sentence: When you relinquish the desire to control your future, you can have more happiness.
3. Prudence (Noun) : सावधानी : behavior that is careful and avoids risks
Synonyms: caution, circumspection, care
Antonyms: recklessness, brashness, carelessness
Example Sentence: The captain said we ought to shorten sail anyway, out of common prudence.
4. Reenact (Verb) : दोहराना : to act out a past event; to enact again
Synonyms: reduplicate, repeat, recreate
Example Sentence:The group reenacted a famous American Civil War battle.
5. Consternation (Noun): बेचैनी : feelings of anxiety or dismay, typically at something unexpected
Synonyms: dismay, panic, tension
Antonyms: ease, contentment, tranquility
Example Sentence: Much to her parents’ consternation, she had decided to not go to college.
6-Defamation (Noun) : मानहानि: The act of communicating false statements about a person that injure the reputation of that person
Synonyms: Disparagement , Aspersion
Antonyms: Flattery , Praise
Example Sentence: The newspaper was sued for defamation after publishing lies about a celebrity.
7-Flout (Verb): अवज्ञा करना: To refuse to obey or accept something
Synonyms: Defy , Disregard
Antonyms: Approve , Compliment
Example Sentence: The orchestra decided to flout convention/tradition, and wear their everyday clothes for the concert.
8-Conviction(Noun) : आस्था : Strong belief or opinion
Synonyms: Faith , Sentiment
Antonyms : Disbelief
Example Sentence : It is our firm conviction that a step forward has been taken.
9. Truce (Noun) : युद्ध-विराम: a short interruption in a war or argument, or an agreement to stop fighting or arguing for a period of time
Synonyms: armistice, cease-fire
Antonyms: war, hostilities, conflict
Example Sentence: Hopefully the truce will last long enough for the leaders to agree to a peace treaty.
10. Amok (Adverb): आपे से बाहर : to be out of control and act in a wild or dangerous manner
Synonyms: rampage, berserk, frenziedly
Antonyms: calmly, collectedly, composedly
Example Sentence:When the robot started going amok and could not be controlled, the engineers realized they had made a terrible mistake in the programming.