The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams | 22-02-2023
Synonyms: blatant, obvious, gross, egregious
Antonyms: underground, concealed, furtive
2. Sordid (Noun): नीच: involving immoral or dishonorable actions and motives; morally wrong and shocking
Synonyms: filthy, dirty, dusty, muddy, stained, blackened, nasty
Antonyms: noble, upright, honorable, lofty, pure, respectable
Example Sentence: The movie described the sordid history of the mafia since 1950.
3. Bizarre (Adjective):विचित्र : very strange and unusual
Synonyms: absurd, insane, odd, crazy
Antonyms: reasonable, realistic, normal, usual
Example Sentence: Everyone stared at the student who wore the bizarre outfit to school.
4. Trafficking (Verb) : तस्करी: deal or trade in something illegal
Synonyms: trading, smuggling, selling
Antonyms: boycotting, blacking
Example Sentence: The abduction and trafficking of babies has been a problem in China for decades.
Synonyms: evidence, proof, witness, confirmation
Antonyms: rebuttal, refutation
Example Sentence: The defendant in court had to give a testimony about where they were the day before so they could prove they did not commit the crime.
Synonyms: persistent, serial, inveterate
Antonyms: occasional, intermittent, unaccustomed
Example Sentence:Because my aunt has untreatable cancer, she has been dealing with chronic pain for several months.
7. Exhortation (Noun): the act of strongly encouraging or trying to persuade someone to do something
Synonyms: recommendation, suggestion, warning, urging, instruction, cautioning, lesson
Antonyms: discouragement, restrain
Example Sentence:In the 3rd quatrain there is a change of tone, with the speaker making a direct exhortation to his beloved.
scandalous or deceptive
Synonyms: reveal, disclose, divulge
Antonyms: hide, conceal
Example Sentence: In 1989 they started an investigation that was to blow the lid off corruption in the police force.
9. Sanctuary (Noun): protection or a safe place, especially for someone or something being chased or hunted
Synonyms: shrine, refuge, shelter
Antonyms: Pitfall, trap, snare
Example Sentence:When the convict escaped from prison, he used one of his safe houses as a sanctuary.
10. Quibbling (Noun): आपत्तियां उठाना: the action of raising objections about a trivial matter
Synonyms: criticizing, niggling
Antonyms: approving, supporting
Example Sentence: Council members spent the day quibbling over thefinal wording of the resolution.