The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams | 23-02-2023
1. Expunge (Verb) : मिटाना: to rub off or remove information from a piece ofwriting
Synonyms: erase, eradicate, abolish, destroy, obliterate
Antonyms: add, allow, construct, insert
2. Obfuscate (Noun) : अस्पष्ट: make obscure, unclear, or unintelligible
Synonyms: confuse, complicate, blur, becloud, disrupt
Antonyms: clarify, simplify, illuminate, streamline
Example Sentence: She was criticized for using arguments that obfuscated the main issue.
3. Unremitting (Adjective): निरंतर: going on and on without any interruptions
Synonyms: continuous, relentless, incessant
Antonyms: recurrent, intermittent, discontinuous
Example Sentence: As long as continuous efforts, and unremitting struggle, there are no things that cannot be conquered.
4. Nay (Noun) : अस्वीकार: a negative answer or vote
Synonyms: denial, refusal, negation
Antonyms: yes, positive, approval
Example Sentence: Since only ten percent of the members voted nay, the was passed which was then sent to the president to be signed.
5. Corroborate (Verb): पुष्टि करना: confirm or give support to (a statement, theory, or finding)
Synonyms: confirm, verify, endorse
Antonyms: refute, disprove, rebut
Example Sentence: Recent research seems to corroborate his theory.
6. Unfurl (Verb) : खोलना: make or become spread out from a rolled or folded state, especially in order to be open to the wind
Synonyms: unfold, expand, extend, open, outspread
Antonyms: fold, close, reduce, compress
Example Sentence: During the spring, the sprouting leaves begin tounfurl, and each petal that opens will sprout a colorful bloom.
7. Inversion (Noun): उलटा: a situation in which something is changed so that it isthe opposite of what it was before, or in which something is turned upside down
Synonyms: reversal, turning about, turning upside down, Reverse, contrary, antithesis
Antonyms: verticality, erectness, stability
Example Sentence: Her account of the case was an inversion of the facts (= it said the opposite of what really happened)..
8. Cognoscente (Noun): विशेषज्ञ: a connoisseur; a discerning expert (a person who has expert knowledge in a subject)
Synonyms: scholar, connoisseur, maestro
Antonyms: novice, amateur, neophyte
Example Sentence: Michael Meredith, a French cognoscente and librarian at E,aton College in England, is less supportive.
9. Authenticate (Verb): प्रमाणित करना : to prove that something is real, true, or what people say it is
Synonyms: certify, affirm, attest, guarantee, testify
Example Sentence: They used carbon dating tests to authenticate the claim that the skeleton was two million years old.
10. Cry foul (Idiom): to say that something that has happened is unfair orillegal
Synonyms: condemn, denounce, bash
Example Sentence: The opposition parties have cried foul at the president’s act, seeing it as a violation of democracy.