The Hindu Vocabulary For All Competitive Exams | 26-02-2023
1. Dither (Verb) : घबराहट: to be unable to make a decision about doingsomething; to be very nervous, excited, or confused
Synonyms: hesitate, falter, panic, fuss
Antonyms: calm, peace, sense, order
2. Abstention (Noun): an instance of declining to vote for or against a proposal or motion; restraint in one’s consumption
Synonyms: abnegation, eschewal, avoidance, reject
Antonyms: indulgence, unconstraint, decide
Example Sentence: I decided to settle on an abstention when the family voted on where we should eat, as personally, I didn’t care where we went.
3. Duress (Noun): दबाव: threats, violence, to force someone into doing something against their will
Synonyms: pressure, constraint, compulsion, intimidation, coercion
Antonyms: freedom, independence, liberation, persuasion
Example Sentence: I think Claire was under duress when she signed the agreement; she never would have voluntarily accepted those conditions.
4. Diffident (Adjective): संकोचशील: modest or shy because of a lack of selfconfidence
Synonyms: shy, bashful, sheepish, introverted
Antonyms: confident, extroverted, immodest, bold
Example Sentence:Although he graduated in the top ten percent of his class, Jules is still diffident about his own intelligence.
5. Ebullient (Adjective): जोश: cheerful and full of energy
Synonyms: exuberant, buoyant, cheerful
Antonyms: indolent, lazy, sluggish
Example Sentence: Jack always felt ebullient after drinking his morning coffee.
6. Exculpate (Verb) : निर्दोष सिद्ध करना: show or declare that (someone) is not guilty of wrongdoing
Synonyms: absolve, acquit, clear, exonerate
Antonyms: accuse, arraign, imprison
Example Sentence: He exculpates himself from stealing the money.
7. Veneer (Noun): दिखावा: a deceptively attractive externalappearance
Synonyms: facade, gloss
Example Sentence: Marcia wears a veneer of friendliness while trying to backstab everyone in the office.
8. Relegate (Verb): consign or dismiss to an inferior rank or position
Synonyms: downgrade, lower in rank, put down
Antonyms: ascent, rise, upswing
Example Sentence: In spite of her strong commitment to her job, she vowed she would never relegate her maternal duties to a nanny.
9.Vaunt (Verb) : बड़ाई करना: boast about or praise (something), especially excessively
Synonyms: boast, brag, pride
Antonyms: belittle, underrate
Example Sentence: Even the noblest of fellows have been known to vaunt a bit.
10. Hale and Hearty (Adjective) : चौंकाना: (of a person, especially an elderly one) strong and healthy
Synonyms: healthy, well, fit
Antonyms: ill, feeble, sick
Example Sentence: She was still hale and hearty in her nineties.